What is retirement, how does it feel to be retired?
Before you go through the process of retirement yourself you can:
· observe and/or talk to all the retired people you can;
· not think about it at all;
however you will likely still be hostage to some foundational myths about retirement. Here are three:
1) Retirement is all about how much money you have. Well yes, it is probably good to have more money than less but it turns out that the emotional aspects of retirement are much bigger than this.
2) Retirement is the phase of life where everything becomes easy. I don’t really know what “easy” might mean; but the truth is that all stages of life present problems.
3) Retirement represents a dead end of life. I would say no to that: it’s as lively and challenging and exciting as you want to make it.
If you think about some of these myths more deeply you will get closer to understanding what you can make of your own retirement. It’s worth the effort, and a retirement coach can assist with this process.
Retirement: You won’t know what it is like until you get there.